With holidays, come gifts. And, inevitably, there is always the worst gift you’ve ever received…
And it gets so much worse than that.
To start, I’ve dated my fair share of former Catholic altar boys. It’s never on purpose- I just always find out by the third or fourth date that they used to be Catholic altar boys. It at least isn’t as bad as my habit of dating guys whose name normally has 4 letters and usually starts with J…or with middle names of “Michael.”
Anyway, so I was dating this guy. And this guy was a formerly repressed altar boy who thought that porn was the pinnacle of sexiest things you could ever buy a girl, which I later learned.
Oh did I mention I ended up paying for this as well?
I should have known this was a bad idea from the start. My birthday, per tradition, always sucks on the actual day. Without fail. So earlier that day, the guy I was dating asked me to borrow $20 since he had to go somewhere that took only cash (not uncommon in my college town). He then said he had a “surprise” for me for my birthday.
He took me to the store off campus that sold the largest variety of DVD and VHS porn (it was also the only store that sold porn within a hundred miles, unless you want to count the ability to buy Playboy at Walmart). And this was early 90s style porn, according to the date on the back of the DVD. Which he had already picked out. And then used the $20 in cash I had let him borrow earlier to paid for it. And he was so proud of himself for his brilliant idea.
Needless to say, I didn’t keep that “birthday gift.”
Anyway, if you’re looking for a last-minute gift for the holidays (and don’t want to make the same mistake), I suggest you make the following…
Better than a Gift of Porn Peppermint Bark
- 1 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 package of 12 candy canes (or 6 oz peppermint candies)
- 1 12 oz package white coating chocolate
- Cover 2 half-sheet pans (your average cookie sheet pans for those non-bakers) in either aluminum foil or parchment paper (whichever you happen to have on hand)
- Unwrap the candy canes or peppermint candies. Place into a ziplock baggie and place underneath a towel. Using either a rolling pin or frying pan, get out all of your aggression over bad gifts by beating the candy into small bits (you’ll have a lot of dust but that’s okay!).
- Dump the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and toss into the microwave, microwaving for 20 seconds at a time until the chocolate appears to be just melting (normally takes ~1 min in my microwave)
- Stir the chocolate chips until smooth, and then evenly divide the chocolate between the two sheet pans and spread thin.
- Break up the white melting chocolate into a separate bowl and microwave again for 20 second intervals until just melting (like before), then stir until smooth.
- Mix in the candy with the white chocolate, then divide up the white chocolate-peppermint mixture by spoonfuls onto each baking sheet.
- Using a knife, swirl the white and semi-sweet chocolate, then tap the pans on a countertop to settle.
- Place both sheets into a fridge under the chocolate sets, then break up into pieces and package into decorative bags or boxes.