Sometimes, you think your kids aren’t paying attention, and then they say something that shocks you.
My mother used to watch soap operas all the time when I was younger. She’d normally have them on in the living room while I would play with some toy on the floor.
According to her, I was nearly 3 years old at the time. The particular soap she was watching was doing some sort of mystery, and the two main characters were somewhere hot and steamy (weather- and otherwise).
It was at night, and apparently the main female character was prancing around in some negligee. She then told the male lead that she was tired and probably should be going to sleep.
Normally, my mother didn’t think that I would pay attention to such things. At that moment though, I looked up at my mother and said, quite perceptively…
“Momma, I don’t think she has sleep on her mind.”
My mother never watched soaps again. Ever.
All Grown Up Brie en Croute
- 1 circle brie or camembert
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 slices bacon (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- In a medium saucepan, fry bacon and set aside to drain. Crumble when cool.
- In that same medium saucepan, dump out bacon grease and wipe clean. Add in olive oil, onions, salt, and pepper. Saute over low heat for approximately 20-30 minutes until onions are golden brown and caramelized. Stir occasionally so onions don’t burn.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice top and bottom rind off cheese. Lay out puff pastry sheet and put cheese on top in the middle. Top with sautéed onions and crumbled bacon. Fold over puff pastry to cover everything.
- Place on a small cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.
Serve with crackers or good bread (my favorite pairing is a garlic clove loaf).