If you’re going to date me, you at least have to think my job is needed.
I was on a date with another guy from my online dating stint. The first date had gone quite well- met up for coffee and pie, good conversation happened, and then we agreed to a second date. I told amusing stories about my work, and he told funny stories about some of the things he dealt with (he had previously lived in a far more rural area before moving to the big city).
It was on the second date where things went wrong.
We met up at a bar for drinks and were at the point where we started talking about our families.
Date: So my dad works in alternative medicine…my family doesn’t believe in modern medicine.
I might have nearly choked on my beer at that statement.
Me: Nothing? Not one bit?
Date: Nope. No medications ever. We don’t see doctors. The dentist is fine, though. Gotta take care of your teeth.
Me (shocked): You do remember I’m a doctor, right? In particular an anesthesiologist? Where I use drugs all the time to put people to sleep for surgery?
Date: Oh, I thought that maybe you just didn’t use medications. Can’t you use alternative methods for all of that?
Now, don’t get me wrong- I use meditation and deep breathing with my patients all the time. I’m a big proponent But I also give them medications.
Shockingly, I did not see him again.
Alternative Strategies Pink Sangria
1 bottle rose wine
- 1/2 c vodka
- 1/4 c raspberry liquour
- 2 lemons, sliced thin
- 1/2 raspberries or blackberries
- 2-3 c light pink or raspberry lemonade
- 1-2 c soda water
- In a large pitcher, pour in rose wine, vodka, liquour, and lemonade (start with 2 c).
- Add lemon slices and berries. Taste (you might need to add additional lemonade).
- Place in fridge and let sit overnight.
- Before serving, stir and add soda water to achieve however many bubbles you’d prefer. (I normally start with 1 c and go up from there.)